This module looks at violence against women within the context of the internet and ICTs. It begins by exploring how violence against women (VAW) has been historically recognized and addressed within international law, and then explores the ways in which VAW manifests online, and/or is exacerbated by the use of ICTs. It goes on to summarize some of the challenges to addressing VAW online within the framework of national laws and corporate policy frameworks, and also discusses some strategies that can be/are being used to counter VAW online.
Throughout this module, the following questions are posed:
- How do we define, name and recognize VAW online as a human rights issue?
- How does VAW manifest in online spaces?
- How can we recognize the gender-based nature of acts of violence in online spaces?
- What are some of the challenges to addressing VAW online in current legislative frameworks?
- What are some of the challenges to addressing VWA online in current corporate policy frameworks?
- What are some strategies for resisting and ending VAW online?